We believe that parents are doing the best they can in any given moment, but parenting is not a role that always reveals the rewards of one’s hard work and sacrifices. For many parents, the 24-7 nature of parenting can cause wear and tear on all of their relationships and responsibilities. When you add in episodes of aggression, defiance, disrespect or excessive crying and sadness from your child, for many, it can lead to a breaking point. Some parents respond by disengaging in a variety of ways and some try to control their children’s behaviors more with tactics that often do not lead to long term success. Unfortunately, many times these strategies harm the relationship more. Well, we understand. Whether you’re parenting from what you were taught by your parents, trying to do the opposite of your parents, or feel as though even the textbook tools aren’t working for you. Our parent coaching programs are free of judgement and provide support, reassurance, and concrete strategies to assist parents with improving the quality of their lives and family. We realize that every family is unique, which is why we offer customizable coaching services for your family.
There can be so many things that limit a parent’s ability to feel content and satisfied with their parenting. Just to name a few for starters:
-Different parenting strategies between partners in the same home or living in different homes
-Seeing behaviors that parents feel are inappropriate and unmanageable
-Personalizing a child’s behavior as a reflection of the quality of your parenting skills
-Parenting children who have not been raised by you since birth
-Feeling disconnected from your child for a variety of reasons
-Other life demands causing additional stress and limiting your ability to fully engage with your child
Individual Parent Coaching Session (60-90 minutes):
This session is ideal for parents/guardians/ caregivers who have a specific question or concern. This can address a very short term goal. Parents typically feel as though they are in a relatively good space with their children and are attuned to factors affecting their relationship with their child. These sessions can be conduced face-to-face in the home, at our office, or via teleconferencing and Skype.
Parent Coaching Program:
This program includes weekly or biweekly sessions of the client’s choice and a customizable, comprehensible assessment and coaching plan. Sessions can include individual sessions with the parent(s) and individual sessions with the child (ren). Observation, modeling, home work exercises and charting is provided to assist with program implementation.
- Crisis support is provided
- School support may be enlisted if necessary to address the impact of the dynamic in multiple settings.
- Email and teleconferencing support is provided to parents outside of sessions.
*Families can be enrolled on a month-to month basis, 2-month or 3-month program.
Benefits of Our Coaching Program:
- Receive concrete strategies to control parents’ feelings of anger, frustration, loneliness and disappointment
- Develop healthy boundaries between parent/caregivers and child(ren)
- Feel like a loving and empowered parent
- Feel more proactive as a parent
- Become the authority in your parent-child relationship.
- Increase knowledge of how your family best functions
- Better manage behaviors such as (tantrums, defiance, etc)
- Increase feelings of connectedness
- Increase cooperation from child(ren) in problem-solving
Our clients are…
- Married, single, divorced, separated, foster parents, grandparents, other relatives, and caregivers.
- Have tried to solve their issues on their own, and/or possibly with other professionals, and feel like they need a different approach.
- Parenting a special needs child(ren)
- Parenting a child in foster care or who is adopted
- Parenting with a grieving child and/or family
- Blending family/separation and divorce
Successsful clients typically:
- Are honest about their readiness to change and expectations
- Understand that their discomfort can be a part of the growth process
- Prepare and schedule time to work the program
- Are open to feedback
- Adapt the mindset from a “rescuer/fixing” position to an “understanding/responding to the need” position
We build a relationship with each individual within the family unit to gain additional insight into family dynamics, needs, goals, expectations and strengths. We use a strengths-based, integrative approach that includes influences from attachment theory, person-in-environment perspective, Erikson’s developmental model, Love and Logic, Positive Parenting and Positive Psychology approaches.
What is a parent coach?
A parent coach is a professional who has experience and training with helping parents improve the quality of their relationships with their child(ren).
What is the difference between a therapist and a coach?
Parent coaching uses hands on tools and increases skill building, utilizing research-based methods to help parents increase their ability to parent their child in a healthier manner. Parent coaching is typically a more brief intervention that focuses on the present situations, educates parents, and does not diagnose. Therapy typically involves a more intensive exploration of one’s background and it is a treatment where clients can work though their issues for resolution anywhere from weeks to years.